Avoid these Holiday Hazards for Dogs

hazards for dogs during the holidays

Holidays are a fun and festive time for your family. However, this time can be dangerous for your pet. During this busy season of constant distractions, it can be easy to overlook potential holiday hazards for dogs.

Watch Out for These Top Holiday Hazards for Dogs

  • Winter Plants Are a Huge Holiday Hazard For Dogs

    Though pretty, these holiday plants can be poisonous and potentially deadly:

    • Christmas tree needles can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, and trembling if ingested.
    • Holly can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, and depression.
    • Mistletoe can also cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, in addition to hallucinations, difficulty breathing, collapse, and death.
    • Poinsettias are not toxic but can cause vomiting if consumed in large quantities.
  • Holiday Ornaments

    Bright, colorful ornaments often resemble favored pet toys. If your dog chews on these sharp, fragile objects their mouth, throat, and intestinals can be severly injured.

  • Tinsel

    Shiny tinsel can attract curious canines. If consumed, it can cause serious injury, bunching in intestines, and requiring emergency surgery.

  • Holiday Lighting

    Twinkling, dangling lights can draw in your curious canine. For those that love to chew, this can be especially dangerous, resulting in electrical shock. Keep holiday lighting and wiring well-secured and out of sight whenever possible, using them with a grounded, 3-prong extension cord for safety.

  • Candles

    Pets can get serious burns from candles or knock them over, creating a fire hazard. To enjoy candles safely, keep them in hard to reach spots that are inaccessible by pets.

  • Gift Ribbon

    Ribbon “collars” might look cute, but they can quickly become a choking hazard. If chewed and swallowed, they can also twist through the intestines, requiring emergency surgery. Always discard gift detritus quickly.

  • Holiday Food Hazards For Dogs

    Cautioning visiting friends and family members about the dangers of feeding table scraps to your pup is essential. Many favored holiday treats are dangerous for your doggie.

    • Chocolate can be deadly. (Link-What-To-Do-If-Eaten-Halloween-Candy)
    • Fat trimmings can cause painful, potentially deadly pancreatitis.
    • Bones could choke your pet.
    • Nuts in cookies and other treats can be toxic.

Hair-raising holiday experience? Tame the mane with the help of DoGone Fun bathing and grooming services today.